Champaign Central H.S. Announcements 10-07-2019
DAILY ANNOUNCEMENTS – PTSA
CLUBS AND ACTIVITIES
Through donations and sponsorships, Central High School raised the equivalent of 5,123 meals for our food bank through the Tackle Hunger campaign. Thanks to all who donated!
Congratulations to the following students for being this week's winners in the Maroon Mindset drawing:
Thanks to all the students who have achieved mastering and achieving levels! You are doing great!
Chess Night @ Central!!!! Anyone who enjoys chess is welcome to come and play and learn with other students. Players of all skill levels are welcome! Tuesday, after school in room 305!!!
Mindful Pause Club meets Tuesday morning 7:30 in room 210. All are welcome, even if you are just curious and want to stop by!
Asian American Association will be holding a Trivia Event on Wednesday, October 9th, at 3:45pm in room 103. Food will be provided. Bring a friend! If you want to be added to our Remind group, use this access code: @92fd88. Contact Miss Long if you have any questions.
Peer Mediation is problem solving by students with students. It is a process by which two students involved in a conflict meet in a private, safe and confidential setting to work out problems with the assistance of two trained student mediators. If you are interested in being a peer mediator, we will meet in the Library Lecture Hall on Tuesday, October 8th during your lunch/advisory periods (4th, 5th and 6th). Please grab your lunch first, then come to the Library Lecture Hall to participate. Contact Mrs. Fenner for any questions or concerns.
Student Council is hosting their annual Fall Blood Drive on October 17th in the Lower Library. You must be at least 110 pounds and 16 or over. Please see Ms. Pennock in room 208 to sign up.
COLLEGE AND CAREERS
Visiting the College & Career Center:
- Tuesday, October 8th: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University of Missouri at Columbia, Michigan Technological University
- Wednesday, October 9th: Lindenwood University
- Thursday, October 10th: Rockford University, McKendree University, North Central College, and Delta State University
**Junior & Seniors, please RSVP by using your Naviance Student account
**Sophomores, please email Mr.Tanner (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested
Christian College Fair:
- Judah Christian School
- Tuesday, October 22nd from 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
- Free admission
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Día de Visita en Español:
- The visit will take place on Monday, November 4th at 11:30am in the Alice Campbell Alumni Center.
- To RSVP, students can Click Here
YES (Youth Employment Services):
- Get a part-time summer job!
- Learn workforce skills from local professionals
- Discover career fields & explore career interests
- Website: Click Here
- Contact: Ms. Russell (Supervisor); 224-592-0296; Russelje@u4sd.org
Empowering Latino Leaders, High School Outreach Program:
- ALPFA UIUC seeks to promote higher education/professional development by encouraging Latino students to apply to the UIUC and join the ALPFA network. Individuals that partake in the ALPFA experience are better prepared for the real world and become more marketable for businesses.
- Learn about: Life as a college student, possible career paths, college application process and concerns, a case study, professional networking and so much more! We will also have presentations by companies that have the event. Lodging and Food will be provided.
- Program will take place: Thursday, November 14th & Sunday, November 17th
- Applications are due on October 6th at Midnight
Additional FAFSA Completion Night:
- Wednesday, October 16th from 5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
- Centennial High School, Library
- No RSVP is necessary
Association of Latino Professionals for America (ALPFA) at UIUC:
The ALPFA outreach program is inviting high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors who are interested in attending UIUC and interested in pursuing a business major to spend a weekend on the UIUC campus and learn more about the university and all that it has to offer. Participants will have an opportunity to interact with students and faculty members as well as participate in leadership panels and learn more about applying to the College of Business. Students will also be able to take a tour of the campus and participate in a series of workshops. The application can be found at the link below. Applications are due no later than Sunday, October 6th at Midnight. Application Link
UIUC Women in Computer Science, ChicTech:
This is a yearly retreat for high school girls to give them exposure to the field of Computer Science. ChicTech is an overnight weekend program with activities including tech workshops, a panel for the students, and a talk from ground-breaking professor Dr. Sarita Adve. The goal is to show the attendees that computer science can be a place where they can thrive - no prior experience needed.
This event is for students from all backgrounds, especially those who have never taken a computer science class before. This retreat is free of cost except for transportation to and from the University of Illinois. Applications are open right now and will close on October 18th.
You can find more information and the application link at www.illinoiswcs.org/chictech.
Dance team competition season and basketball kicks off on October 28th. During competition season, the team take field-trips, participates in tumbling training, travels to competitions throughout Central Illinois, and hosts an overnight sleepover banquet. Auditions will be held on Friday November 1st from 5pm - 7pm and Saturday November 2nd from 5-7 pm in Combs Gym. You must register for dance online prior to auditions at maroonathletics.com.
The wrestling team is hosting open gym workout in the Combes Gym Stage area from 3:40 pm to 5:15 pm on Monday, October 7th. Anyone interested in working out prior to the wrestling season that isn’t participating in fall sports may meet there for a workout. In addition, the wrestling team will be looking for students that would be interested in being a statistician or a manager for the upcoming season. If you are interested, please meet coach Merle in the Combes gym stage area at the same time. If you have any questions or need information on this year’s sign-up or scheduling, contact Coach Merle or Coach Robb at the open gym.
Coach Merle Ingersoll is hosting an informational meeting from 3:40 to 4:15 pm on Wednesday, October 22nd for wrestling. Anyone interested in participating this wrestling season, being a team manager or stat person may meet in the 2nd floor library lecture room after school. Schedules and information about the season will be distributed at the meeting. There will be another team meeting on Tuesday October 29th for those that can’t attend.