Champaign Central H.S. Announcements
DAILY ANNOUNCEMENTS – PTSA
“Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.” —Barack Obama
CLUBS AND ACTIVITIES
Spanish Club will be meeting after school on Thursday, February 13th in room 111 to celebrate Valentine’s Day.
Chapter 14 will meet next Wednesday, February 19 in the library. Also Central We are still selling Applebee's flapjacks tickets for Feb 23 so get yours today. Thanks everyone for encouraging the girls as they stepped out of their comfort zone and rose to the occasion.
The next Informal Debate Club meeting is this Wednesday at 3:30 after school in room 227. We will debate about whether private or public schools are more effective and how different environments affect students. New members are always welcome and snacks will be provided!
Please join us for the 22nd Annual Swing Central jazz and dance event at the Champaign Country Club on Friday, February 21st. Jazz bands from Champaign Central, Urbana High School, Edison and Jefferson Middle Schools will be performing. The event kicks off at 5:30 pm and dinner is served from 6 to 8 pm. For dance only or dance & dinner tickets, please visit our website at https://www.maroons.org/swing/
JSA meeting this Thursday at 7:30 am in room 211
Applied Math and Science Outreach Club (AMSO) is hosting the U of I Geometry Lab this Thursday (2/13) after school in the Library Lecture Hall. Be there or be “square!”
Peer Leaders will meet in Freshmen Advisories this Friday, 2/14.
Do you need help with your French? Preparing for a presentation? Completing Homework? Speaking? Listening? Come to room 117 on Tuesdays and Thursdays after school! French Honor Society students will help you in any way! Tutoring is available from 3:20-4:00 in room 117 on Tuesdays and Thursdays
Asian American Association will be hosting a bake sale on 2/19/20 during 4th, 5th, and 6th period lunches. Baked goods and snacks can be purchased outside of Decker Theater. If you are interested in providing snacks/baked goods for the event, please contact Miss Long.
Student Council's Spring Blood Drive will be on February 20th 2nd period through 7th period. If you are 16 or older and would like to donate blood, please see Ms. Pennock in room 208.
French Club will meet next Wednesday, February 12 after school in room 117 to celebrate Black History Month and La Chandeleur! We will be making African masks and crêpes! See your French teacher to sign up!
Please join us for Algebra 1 Family Night on February 26, 2020 at 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM at the Douglas Library. Please join us for pizza and informational sessions on summer employment opportunities, withdrawn youth, vaping, and upcoming state testing and academic information. Please RSVP by 2/20/20 to Charlene Smith (email@example.com), Iris Jun (firstname.lastname@example.org), or call 217-351-3911, ext. 2160.
COLLEGE AND CAREERS
Visiting the College & Career Center
- Monday, February 24th: Parkland Pathway Informational Meeting (Seniors ONLY, Email Mr. Tanner)
- Wednesday, March 4th: Lincoln College (Lincoln, Illinois)
- Thursday, March 26th: University of Miami (FL)
** Junior & Seniors, please RSVP by using your Naviance Student account or email Mr. Tanner
** Sophomores, please email Mr.Tanner (email@example.com) if you are interested
Honors Day Scholarships Available (Seniors Only)
1) Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
2) Arthur B. Cooper Scholarships (Zeta Xi Lambda Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc.)
3) Dana Buerkett Memorial Scholarships
4) First in the Family Scholarship
5) Kathy Murphy Scholarship
6) Lucien and Christine Nesbitt Memorial Scholarship
7) James L. Sisk Scholarship
8) Pearl B. Sisk Scholarship
9) Vincent O. Greene Scholarship
10) Volunteer Award
College & Career Center's Financial Aid/Scholarships Webpage
Scholarships for Undocumented Students
Summer Programs for Freshmen - Junior Students
Army Educational Outreach Program, Construction Engineering Research Laboratory
The Army Corps of Engineer at the Construction Engineering Research Laboratory (CERL) will be hosting two FREE Stem based day camps this summer. Come experience STEM alongside the scientists and engineers at CERL through a variety of hands-on activities. Plus, see what is is like to have a STEM career within the Army. Each student, upon successful completion, will earn a $125 educational stipend.
Session One: Rising 9th-12th grades: June 8-12
Students will solve the mystery of Lyle and Louise through a variety of forensic techniques. Activities include blood splatter patterns, fiber analysis, and forensic entomology.
Session Two: Rising 6th-8th grades: July 6-10
Students will explore vision in 2020. Hands on lessons on human sight, the science of light, and robotic color sensor challenges will be included during the week.
- Apply Now: https://www.usaeop.com/
- Questions?: Please email CERL-Outreach@usace.army.mil
- Applications are due April 18, 2020
Parkland Pathway to Illinois Information Event
- Sunday, February 22, 2020; 1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
- Parkland College Student Union, Doors Open 12:30 p.m.
1) College of Agricultural, Consumer, and Environmental Sciences (ACES)
2) College of Applied Health Sciences
3) College of Education
4) College of Engineering
5) College of Fine and Applied Arts (Selected Majors)
6) College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
7) College of Media
8) School of Information Sciences
9) School of Social Work
For more information, go to https://www.parkland.edu/Main/
To RSVP for this event, go to https://explore.parkland.edu/
Contact: Mary Kay Smith, Student Services Advisor; firstname.lastname@example.org;217-351-
Crafts & Trades Labor Union Career Fair
- Employers Include:
1) International Union of Operating Engineers Local 841
2) Plasters and Cement Masons Local 143
3) International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 601
4) Plumbers & Pipefitters Local 149
5) Carpenters Local 243
6) United Union of Roofers, Waterproofers, and Allied Workers Local 97
7) Iron Workers Local 380
8) Parkland College
9) University of Illinois
10) Champaign County Regional Planning Commission
- Open to the public and no registration is required
- Date: Wednesday, February 19th from 10:00 A.M. - 1:00 P.M.
- Where: Illinois WorkNet Center (1307 N. Mattis Avenue, Champaign, IL 61821)
- Questions: Karin Phelps at 217-278-5740
The Boy's Tennis team will have a short informational meeting in room 208 at 3:30 on Wednesday, February 12th.
Anyone interested in purchasing fan gear from the Girls Track & Field team can visit our fan shop here: https://fancloth.shop/K2ZDH